Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But none of these gases are as hazardous as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it needs to be taken very seriously. Part of the reason it is so dangerous is because the gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on how large the crack is and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some recommended action items to protect yourself and your family: If you don’t have a carbon monoxide detector in your home, call Finch Air Conditioning & Heating Inc in La Porte to purchase one. Ask us about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, check or replace the batteries regularly. Testing should be done every few months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start to have flu-like symptoms, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Get the protection you need and call Finch Air Conditioning in La Porte at 281-407-9478 to learn more.