Stopping it from happening is the most crucial place to start. Doing correct safety precautions will reduce your chances of carbon monoxide poisoning in La Porte.
Here are a few steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Warm up your car away from your garage. Cars are a significant source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours going in the restricted space of a garage. The same goes for gas equipment such as lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t run ovens or grills as heaters. These items are safe when operated correctly but can create carbon monoxide when used for a long period of time in tight spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, as it produces fumes.
- Have your chimney checked by a specialist. This makes sure chimneys and vents aren’t blocked and connected properly.
- Confirm gas appliances are working correctly, including your heater. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe operation by scheduling yearly furnace maintenance with Finch Air Conditioning & Heating.