Carbon monoxide connects with red blood cells, robbing oxygen from your body it has to have to thrive. It mixes with these cells more than 200 times more easily than oxygen, resulting in a condition known as carboxyhemoglobin saturation.
Carbon monoxide, instead of oxygen, then gets taken to the important organs by the bloodstream. In short, carbon monoxide deprives your body of oxygen. Organs have to have oxygen; without it, they begin to suffocate.
Your body needs a long time to get rid of carbon monoxide; however, it can be taken in much faster.