When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you set up for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your prep worked.
At Finch Air Conditioning & Heating, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time might not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Be sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get strewn about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Finch Air Conditioning & Heating prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and determine whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in La Porte, but we have to be prepped if we want the best chance to dodge any major damage or other problems that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in La Porte or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 281-407-9478 or schedule an appointment with Finch Air Conditioning & Heating through our online scheduler.