Whether you add a sunroom, family room or other space to your house, being comfy in your new room throughout the year is key. However, they can make a unique situation for heating and cooling. This is since extending ductwork is expensive. And that your heating and cooling system may not be able to handle the increased load, since it was sized without including the addition.
One of the most affordable solutions is to get a mini-split. This system provides energy-efficient heating and cooling, with no ductwork needed. Find out more about mini-splits and how getting one for your addition can be a fantastic fit.
All About Mini-Splits and How They Heat and Cool
A ductless mini-split, since they’re very similar to ducted heat pumps that southern homeowners have used for decades.
Heat pumps are very energy efficient as they transfer heat to make your addition more comfortable. In fact, many have achieved ENERGY STAR® certification, which could make you eligible for additional rebates and reduce your heating and cooling expenses for years to come.
Another exclusive feature involves zoned heating and cooling. Because each room usually has its own indoor unit, you can select your preferred temperature from room to room. As an instance, a mini-split AC is particularly beneficial if you have a area with precise temperature needs, like a home gym.
Why a Mini-Split is Worth It for Your Space
Getting a mini-split system is worth it for areas that lack ductwork. Here are several reasons why it’s wiser than adding ductwork and using your present heating and cooling system.
- Extending ductwork is pricey. Extending ductwork in your new addition can be costly. Although the exact amount will depend on your unique situation, it run thousands of dollars.
- Your current home comfort system could become overwhelmed. When your current heating and cooling system was chosen, it was based on the square footage of your house prior to the addition. This could overwhelm your system and make it wear down more quickly.
- Your comfort could be affected. Since your heating and cooling system is sized for precise square footage, your comfort could suffer if your system is forced to take care of a wider location. Your heating and cooling may be less powerful, and your electricity and gas bills might skyrocket since the system needs to operate more often.
What Size Mini-Split You Need
Like more common systems, mini-splits are available in varying sizes based on the square footage they’ll be heating and cooling. Here are three of the most frequently installed sizes:
- 400-650 square feet – 12,000 BTU mini-split
- 600-1,000 square feet – 18,000 BTU mini-split
- 800-1,300 square feet – 24,000 BTU mini-split
When you work with our Experts at Finch Air Conditioning & Heating, we’ll help you get the right size for your new addition. And your price point.
An ENERGY STAR mini-split unit can generate big energy savings over its lifetime, which can be 20 years or greater when correctly tuned up. ENERGY STAR says getting one can save you 60% on heating and 30% on cooling, in comparison with an electric heating system and conventional air conditioner.
Trust Finch Air Conditioning & Heating for Your Mini-Split Installation
From taking care of all your questions and helping you pick the ideal model to supplying Expert mini-split installation, Finch Air Conditioning & Heating can handle all your mini-split needs. If you’re planning a home addition or recently completed one, we can help. Give us a call at 281-407-9478 right away to request a free consultation and estimate.