Spring is nice for many reasons: flowers start to bloom, you can open up windows for fresh air and your utility bill is generally at its cheapest. That’s because you’re not turning on your heating or cooling.
But as temperatures begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are some ideas for saving energy in La Porte and keeping bills down.
1. Schedule Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and scale down costs. Switching out your air filter will help keep power expenses less expensive.
If your air conditioning equipment has experienced better days, spring is a great time to update it. The energy-saving features in updated cooling systems is a big advantage for keeping your power charges down.
2. Lower Your Thermostat
There’s a straightforward way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling expenses. Just set your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Learning how to efficiently work your thermostat is the easiest way to reduce energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re at home. Think of it this way, the smaller the difference between outside temperatures and indoor temperatures, the smaller your energy expense will be.
- When you’re away, set the thermostat to a considerably higher temperature or shut it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your Space
You can take advantage of a couple other approaches to help keep your home cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By using a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise when it’s warm out, which forces cool air upward. This distributes cool air more uniformly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it comes through windows. Keep your home more comfortable by closing blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny areas.
4. Look Into Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out of the house and abruptly realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you stew about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats pick up on your schedule and correct the temp when you’re out and about to help you save on your bills. You can also change the temp from anywhere with your phone.
These pro ideas will all help keep summer energy bills down. If you figure out it’s time to improve your thermostat or need AC installation, give us a call at 281-407-9478 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right fit for your home. And as always, all our services are protected by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.